The tomb was discovered by
Victor Loret in March 1899 between KV35 (Amenhotep
II) and KV13 (Bay). It is entered through an entryway shaft (A)
leading directly into the burial chamber (J). The tomb was found almost
intact and was left undecorated. Maiherpri, official of Tuthmosis IV, was a child of the royal nursery and
royal fan-bearer. The mummy of Maiherperi
first time was examined on 22 March 1901.
The mummy of Maiherpri
lay within two anthropoid coffins and an outer wooden shrine of
rectangular form. A third anthropoid coffin, smaller in size, lay unused
in the centre of the chamber. The likelihood is that this 'spare' coffin had originally been
intended as the innermost of the set. Having been employed to carry Maiherperi's mummy in the funeral procession, on arrival in the burial
chamber it was found to be too large to drop smoothly, as intended, into
the nested second and third coffins already positioned within the tomb.
Maiherpri's mummy would seem to have been hastily ejected from its
overlarge third coffin and placed within the smaller of the two nested
coffins around which the large wooden funerary canopy was then erected.
The unused third coffin was abandoned where it lay.
When Loret entered the tomb, the mummy of Maiherpri
still lay within its outer two coffins, though the tenons joining lids
to bases had already been broken in antiquity and the mummy rifled - the
bandages, over the arms in particular, having been crudely hacked away
with an adze. Most of the funerary jewellery had been carried off by the
robbers. Further evidence of robbery could be seen in the general
absence not only of jewellery but of all portable metalware, and also of
non-funerary linen and clothing. The containers of ben-oil had
had their sealed linen coverings ripped away, but had then been
discarded; the oil was evidently too old to be of interest. Following
the plundering of KV36,
the tomb appears
to have been subjected to a hasty, semi-official tidying up and reclosed.